Inserting Page Numbers in Excel Sheets
Most people get confused when using Excel, especially when inserting page numbers. Did you know you could adjust the starting page number? When you attempt to print an Excel worksheet, the first-page number is auto, meaning the first page displays page 1.
The page numbers are continuous through varying worksheets if you attempt to print the worksheet. This tutorial explains what to do if you want each worksheet to restart from page one after reaching the previous worksheet’s end.
How to Insert Page Numbers Via the Page Setup Dialogue Box
You can insert page numbers in Excel via the page setup dialogue box. Here is how:
- Navigate to Page Layout Table > Page Setup and select the dialogue launcher.
- a) This opens the Page Set dialogue box
- b) Select Header and Footer tab
- c) In the foot’s drop-down menu, click on Page 1? The output is displayed under the drop-down menu.
- d) Click OK
- e) This instantly inserts page numbers into your worksheet. Follow this method if you intend to insert page numbers on the active sheet only. To insert page numbers into multiple sheets, select all the sheets by holding SHIFT and selecting the worksheet tabs. After this, follow the above steps.
How To Insert Page Numbers Via Page Layout
The page layout is the fastest way to insert page numbers into all your worksheet pages. Here is how you do it:
- Navigate to View > Workbook Views> Page Layout
- You will notice the display of the spreadsheet changes.
- Scroll down and click on Click to Add Footer
- When you click on any box, the Header and Footer Tools Design tab displays
- Scroll to Design > Page Number. This into a code and & [page]in the box
- Type “of” before the code. Click Design> Number of pages, which inserts the code and [pages]
- Click anywhere inside the worksheet and notice the page number displayed at the bottom of the page.
You need to note that you can see the page numbers displayed in the Page Layout, not on the standard View. However, the numbers indicate when you print out the worksheet.
Set a Different Text in The First Page Footer
You can set a different text on the front page, then have regular page numbers on other pages. For instance, you can write your company’s website, name, or copyright details alongside the page number. In the Page Layout, click the footer box where you want the text.
Go to Design > Options > different First Page Option. Enter the text you want on the front page. For instance: Dow-John.com. It will appear as Dow-John.com &[page] of [pages]. Click inside the worksheet.
Start Page Numbers with Your Desired Numbers
If you want to print a continuation of another report or a part of a more extensive report, you might want to begin the page numbers differently instead of the standard page 1.
To do this:
Navigate to Page Layout>Page Setup>Dialogue Launcher
- This action opens the Page Set dialogue box.
- In the Page Setup tab, change the page number from auto to the desired number.
Change the Page Number Order
When you have a significant data set, Excel inserts page numbers by default for all the worksheets going downward, then to the right and number them. To change this default order:
- Navigate to the Page Layout tab –> Page Setup> Dialogue Launcher
- This opens the Page Set Dialogue Box, where you can select the Sheet tab. Change the order from Down, then Over, then down again
K2 Technologies provides you with Microsoft consulting and solutions for organizations in the United States. Contact us to schedule a call, book a meeting, or remote help.