Quick Access Toolbar Customization in Microsoft Word
Save time and effort in Microsoft Word by customizing the Quick Access Toolbar. The Quick Access Toolbar allows you easy access to your most-used functions without diving through menus. You can find the Quick Access Toolbar above the ribbon at the top of the application window.
Add items to Quick Access Toolbar
From the Quick Access Toolbar
- Click the drop-down arrow to expand the menu. A list of options appears with checkmarks next to the options that are already on the toolbar.
- Click on any of the listed options to add them to the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Not all commands are listed, find other commands by clicking the More Commands… option near the bottom of the menu.
From a Ribbon option
Right-click the option and select Add to Quick Access Toolbar.
For example, if you want to add the Show/Hide ¶ button to the Quick Access Toolbar, Go to Home > Add to Quick Access Toolbar and right-click ¶ icon to see the option to add.
This works on any option in the ribbon menu.
Remove an item from the Quick Access Toolbar
From the Quick Access Toolbar:
- Right-click the option and select Remove from Quick Access Toolbar
- Click the drop-down arrow to expand the menu. A list of options appears with checkmarks next to the options that are already on the toolbar. Select the checked option to remove it.
Change Quick Access Toolbar position
You can also move the Quick Access Toolbar below the ribbon for faster access.
- Click the drop-down arrow to expand the menu.
- From the menu, click Show Below the Ribbon.
To return the Quick Access Toolbar to its default position, right-click anywhere on the toolbar and select Show Quick Access Toolbar Above the Ribbon.
Use Customize Quick Access Toolbar menu to reorder, remove, and add more options.
To make more changes, it may be easier to use Customize the Quick Access Toolbar menu. This menu is a great way to see more options, add or remove icons, or rearrange items on the toolbar.
To get to this menu:
- Go to File > Options and click Quick Access Toolbar.
- Right-click anywhere on the Quick Access Toolbar and click Customize Quick Access Toolbar….
From this menu you can:
- See a list of the current Quick Access items on the right-hand side. On the left is a list of more commands you can add.
- Use the arrow buttons on the right of the current list of items to change the order.
- Select from the list of commands and click Add >> or << Remove.
- Narrow or expand your search for options using the Choose commands from: drop-down menu.
By default, these changes are saved and will be present in any new documents.
Need more help?
Contact K2 Technologies for expert help with Microsoft applications and more.